Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Good times in Font

Back from a superb week in Font. Good weather, good company, excellent gite, food, beer....happy days!

I wasn't as weak as I'd expected to be after several months of no climbing and I managed quite a few quality 7s at some of the more esoteric areas. I haven't been to Font for about four years and thought I'd exhausted most of the decent low 7s, but in reality there's a whole lot more to go at! And visiting the outlying areas we got a false sense of how quiet the forest was. We rarely shared the boulders with other groups and it wasn't until we popped in to Isatis for a few hours that you realise quite how manic it can be at the most popular crags at Easter.

Highlights for me were:-

- flashing 'Big Jim' (6c) at Petit Bois - contender for the best problem in Font.
- 'Peter Pan' (7b/+) at Rocher du Mauvais Passage - well named and "Font in a nutshell"!
- 'Le Calice' (7a) at Restant du Long Rocher.
- 'Matador' (7a+) at Elephant nord - horror stories of Darren smashing his ankle on this a few years ago almost put me off but it turned out fine.
- 'La fissure de droite' (7a) at Rocher d'Avon - not often you climb a strong line like this bouldering.
- 'Megalight' (7b) at Rocher St. Germain. Sloper to sloper dyno at a superb peaceful crag.


Over the pyrenees...


Font light...

No comments:

Post a Comment