Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Fighting the lurgy at Mont-ral...

Unfortunately the cold lives on. Not the temperatures (it was actually pretty warm today!), but the one inside me and so I woke up feeling like death and was very close to sacking it off. But the sun was shining, and I still can't bear to waste a sunny day! Plus I can't really complain too much, as Pete turned up to meet us looking far worse than I felt! It seems like everyone's got a cold at the moment.

Mont-ral was the plan, but some of the less well travelled sectors down at Lo Maset de Paisan where there's an amazing overhanging knife-edged prow called 'Trinxalaire', as well as some great 6's and low 7's on perfect rock. The prow is one of the most unique and prominent lines I think I've seen on limestone, with great rock and some really strange pockets on the left of the arete. Without these it would be impossible, as the rest of the rock is so smooth and unfeatured - see photo below. Anyway, after putting the draws in and quickly working out the moves I had a redpoint go, but hadn't really warmed up enough so got a bad flash pump and fell. After a bit of a rest belaying Tash on a superb-looking 6c ('L'oru i el moru') I had another go and this time I was better warmed up so managed to finish it off. Despite its short length (only 22m) it's super steep and really pumpy but a fantastic route - well worth a visit to the crag just for this. Having said that, every route I've done here has been good and I finished the day with another quality 7a!


Tash lanking her way up 'L'oru i el moru' (6c) at L'Androna, Mont-ral.




'Trinxalaire' (7c+) at Can Tonada, Mont-ral.

No comments:

Post a Comment