Last time we went to the Totxo de morera boulder up at Montsant I stupidly suggested it might be a good place to go when it warms up, because the south face is so steep that it's shaded all day. Bad idea. After a quick warm-up on the shady west wall this morning, I put the draws in the good steep 7a on the south face for Tash, but it was already getting sweaty and even this felt harder than it should. Afterwards I had a go up the 7c+ to the left of the 8a I did last time we were here, but just below half height there's an obvious hold that's broken and it's now significantly harder - I couldn't do the move and had to dog past it. But the main problem was that it was just so hot and sweaty. This heat wave is getting ridiculous now - the car said 28° when we were driving back today! Far too hot to be climbing anywhere but the shadiest crags, and it's only the start of April!
After stripping the draws from the 7c+ I did a few other 6c's round on the shady west wall and then stripped the draws from the 7a, as Tash was struggling on it in the heat. Sunbathing seemed to be a much better alternative today...
![]() |
| Mini cloud inversion looking out from the Totxo de la Morera boulder this morning - hot hot hot! |

No comments:
Post a Comment