Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January round-up

After a pretty amazing start to the new year in the deserts of Jordan, the remainder of January has been a bit slow on the climbing front. A combination of lingering colds, lots of things to plan and organise for the coming year, but above all pretty low levels of motivation, has meant a total of only 5 days out climbing this month (compared to 18 days in October last year and 15 in November).

After a bit of time off proper climbing (5 weeks this time - multi-pitch ledge shuffling in Rum doesn't count!) I always find it hard to get back into it. Then when you do go out it's inevitably a pretty humbling experience being weak, heavy and unfit! It's easy to get into a cycle of climbing badly, which reduces motivation levels, so you go out less, then inevitably climb worse the next time, and so on.

Anyway, we've had a few good but fairly chilled days out over the last couple of weeks at Montsant, Masriudoms, Mont-ral, Siurana, and also finally checked out the crags at Vilanova de Prades. The last few days out I've finally seen the psyche returning and I even did a few pull ups at the end of the session today for training!

Plus it's only nine weeks and counting 'til I go to Font at Easter so I better get training....


Capçanes crag - over the other side of Llaberia, which we checked out a few weeks ago.



Capçanes again - plenty of nice looking tufa routes.




Above Llaberia (the area near Santa Marina)




Vilanova de Prades - main camping area. Worth a day, but not sure I'll be rushing back in a hurry.
I did two decent routes here, which are worth a visit (Cronologia 7a, and Baya de oro 7b). The others were pretty short and distinctly average.




The 'easy classic' of Equinoxe (6b). Photogenic, but neither easy nor very classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment